Monday, February 21, 2011

Woodland Creatures

Image via anthropologie
Four years ago I thought I was being stalked by owls when they starting popping up everywhere I went. I first noticed this in the East Village on a t-shirt that some hipster was wearing that caught my eye and then later that day I fell for a pair of owl mugs in a boutique (one of which now sits in a bookcase in my room). Little did I know it was the beginning of a huge trend in owl merchandise and paraphernalia.


The little figurine of the owl of Minerva I bought in London and the owl sitting next to it was a gift.
Now I'm seeing stags everywhere, in the traditional design sense (mounted on walls) and elsewhere... are woodland creatures just having their moment again, a reprisal from the 1960s and 1970s? There is definitely a hipster element to their resurgence.