Sunday, January 8, 2012

Accidental Resolution


Kale. 

I feel sort of smug about this one, because without meaning to the superfood that's at the top of everybody's superlist has made its way into my smoothies. I bought a giant bag of kale at the farmer's market on New Year's Eve because it was emerald green and looked so pretty. Then I had no idea what to do with it, so I chopped a bunch of it and threw it in with my usual banana, mango, strawberry, almond milk (and - I sort of can't believe it either and was likely propelled by the kale - ground flax seeds) and ended up with a murky green but tasty drink. Yesterday I bought another giant bag of kale at the farmer's market to replace the one that I'd already gone through. So. Yep. Smug. 

Recipe:

1 cup kale, chopped
1 banana
1/2 cup frozen mango
1/2 cup frozen strawberry
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tbsp ground flax seed


p.s. 1 cup of kale breaks down to this:


image via wayward spark