Monday, March 26, 2012

Weekend


This weekend I realized two very important things: the first being the importance of looking in one's rubber boots before putting them on; the second is that I really ought to buy a proper ice cream maker.

This was the second time (in 7 years, mind you) that I put on rubber boots that were basking in the warm sun by the back door and got stung by ... something. The first time it was definitely a bee. Yesterday whatever it was stung me 3 times and likely died but left no trace behind. There were wasps around this past week when the temperature soared to 29 degrees (celsius), so who knows what other stinging creatures are still lurking around waiting to prey on innocent shins and knees.

The unseasonably hot weather has necessitated several trips for gelato. Sadly, these trips were neither cheap nor up to my standards, which makes me think that it's time to start making my own with a proper ice cream maker (last year I made strawberry coconut milk ice cream using a blender, not at all the same). This base recipe from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams caught my eye when the temperature soared, so now I'm pretty convinced that an ice cream maker will be the next addition to my kitchen. I can't wait for infusions of vanilla bean and balsamic and herb and coffee ....