Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dream Shoppe

source 1 & 2

The Selby featured this delightful pie shop in T Magazine today. It's called Four & Twenty Blackbirds and is located in Brooklyn, and now I'm sad because even though it hadn't crossed my mind to call my (non-existent) pie shop Four and Twenty Blackbirds, now I can't name it that, just like I can't use Queen of Tarts.

I was (half) joking with an acquaintance from my undergrad who I haven't seen in years about dropping everything and opening up a pie shop this past weekend after commiserating over the dismal outlook for those trying to enter the workforce with a graduate degree in the arts. Dismal. Hence, pie, because who doesn't love pie?

Sisters Melissa and Emily Elsen love pie and opened their pie and coffee shop over a year ago. Funnily enough I actually came across their recipe for maple buttermilk custard pie last week while searching for recipes for the pumpkin custard tart that I planned to make for Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. It so happened that such a recipe doesn't exist, so I made it up myself and was quite pleased with the results (see recipe below), but didn't take any photos because I was too busy brining/roasting a turkey and making cranberry sauce, roasted vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes, all while it was almost 30 degrees outside. Unreal.






all photos from The Selby via T Magazine

Pumpkin Custard Pie
*filling adapted from blackberry custard pie recipe; Sweet Tart Pastry from Baking Illustrated

Filling:
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup ricotta
3 eggs
4 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Pastry:
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
2/3 confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp
1/2 cup butter