Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Coat Inspiration: Menswear and the Sixties

I have a thing for coats. It's probably got something to do with living on the east coast above the 49th parallel, but of all the things in my closet, if I had a disposable income all year long I would lavish it on coats (good, well-made, perfectly-tailored-in-beautiful-fabric coats) for every season and possible weather scenario. 

I'm in the market for one right now. Last year I made do with a (surprisingly spot-on) wool peacoat from the little boy's department at Old Navy. It actually reminds me a lot of the one from Built by Wendy that Andrea Linnett wrote about here, minus the insanely tempting gold lining. 

As usual I look to menswear and the 60s for inspiration. I love the tailored boxiness of these coats, the silhouette of the swing coats, and as usual am gravitating towards their neutral tones. I can't get enough of gray and navy, so I'm especially grateful these days for my red leather gloves, the only pop of colour I currently wear. They're beautiful fleece-lined gloves and are perfectly worn in from years of wear by my grandmother.  She gave them to me the last time I saw her almost ten years ago; it was in the middle of February and I tried to talk her out of it, but she insisted, and a month later she passed away (she wasn't ill, but I do think she knew). She was a very stylish lady and always favoured a classic silhouette; I think she would approve of these:











images: 
Kirsten Dunst in Carven coat 
Club Monaco
Calvin Klein Collection coat  
Club Monaco 
J.Crew
Rochas  
SJP 
A.P.C.