Thursday, March 24, 2011

Architectural Fantasy Dream Come True

This photo of the Kansas City Library is blowing my mind. It brings together two of my favourite things - civic architecture and book spines! I only wish I could have been privy to the design process and deciding what books were worthy of representation. Are the spines taken from actual books, or were they designed by the architectural firm? Did the library propose this to the architect or is the architect a bibliophile who was just waiting for the day when he could create a facade of book spines? So. Many. Questions.

It seems as though the front of the library are Classics and the books in the second photo, which I'm presuming to be the back of the building, are more contemporary novels - I see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Image source

Image source